Robert A. Heinlein: My Top 10
By Galen Strickland
1. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
......(depends on which one I'm reading at the time)
4. Glory Road
5. Stranger in a Strange Land
6. The Door into Summer
7. Methuselah's Children
8. Time Enough for Love
9. Job : A Comedy of Justice
10. Double Star
Numbers 1, 3, 5, and 10 all won Heinlein the coveted Hugo award which is voted on by readers at the annual World Science Fiction Covention. He was for a long time the only author to win for Best Novel four times (with her latest win Lois McMaster Bujold tied with him). Numbers 2, 4, 8, and 9 were nominated for a Hugo, but I'm not sure about The Door Into Summer. I was not able to find information for 1958 and previous except for the winners. Also, Methuselah's Children may not have been eligible in 1959, even though it was a revised version printed in book form for the first time. It had originally been serialized in Astounding Science Fiction in 1941, before the Hugos even existed. It should be obvious I like a lot of RAH's later work as only four of these titles pre-date SiaSL. Rest assured I also have a great admiration for much of his earlier work, and many of those titles just narrowly missed making the list. Honorable Mention goes to Beyond This Horizon, The Puppet Masters, Citizen of the Galaxy, Tunnel in the Sky, and Orphans of the Sky.
Novellas and Short Stories:
1. If This Goes On (in Revolt in 2100 / Methuselah's Children)
2. The Green Hills of Earth
3. Gulf (in Assignment in Eternity)
4. The Man Who Sold the Moon
5. All You Zombies (in The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein)
6. By His Bootstraps (in The Menace from Earth)
7. Coventry (in Revolt in 2100 / Methuselah's Children)
8. Logic of Empire (in The Green Hills of Earth)
9. They (in The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein)
10. The Man Who Traveled in Elephants (in The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein)
Honorable Mentions: Requiem (in The Man Who Sold the Moon), -We Also Walk Dogs, It's Great to Be Back!, and The Long Watch (all in The Green Hills of Earth), and And He Built a Crooked House (in The Fantasies of Robert A. Heinlein).
Of course this list is highly subjective; at another time I might possibly rank them in another order.
The Heinlein Society Website
The Robert A. Heinlein Homepage - maintained by James Gifford
Would you like to contribute an article on your favorite SF, Fantasy or Horror movie?
Just email me.
We would appreciate your support for this site with your purchases from
Amazon.com and ReAnimusPress.